[lbo-talk] Re: queen for a day

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jul 16 09:00:13 PDT 2003

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> In general, when I say, I like X, it
> doesn't mean, you suck if you don't.

On the whole, intellectual/aesthetic/etc snobbery does not operate through the implication that "I like this, you don't, therefore you are inferior," but through the negative version: "I do NOT like X, You do, therefore you are a slob."

It is difficult to sneer casually as someone's lack of delight in the play of syntax against line ending and stress in

Thus they out of their plaints new hope resume To find whom at the first they found unsought: But to his Mother Mary, when she saw Others return'd from Baptism, not her Son, Nor left at Jordan, tydings of him none; Within her brest, though calm; her brest though pure, Motherly cares and fears got head, and rais'd Some troubl'd thoughts, which she in sighs thus clad.

(Paradise Regained, 59-66)

but easy to sneer (sometimes only silence is necessary) at a fellow-worker's delight in a movie she saw last night.

Carrol