[lbo-talk] Conspiracy theory on Moscow theatre siege (Chris?)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jun 4 08:46:03 PDT 2003

> Litvinenko believes these two men - Abdul the Bloody and Abu
> Bakar - were working for the FSB and persuaded other Chechens
> to join them without revealing their connection to the FSB.
> Litvinenko thinks the Russian Secret Service organised the
> whole theatre siege and that all the others involved in
> staging it were killed to conceal the FSB's involvement.

I cannot comment on the merits of this particular claim, because I do not have sufficient information. However, I know that the genre of conspiracy theories involving a mole in the ranks of the enemy's top echelons is very popular in Eastern Europe, and can be found not just in urban legends but official propaganda and even literature. I would thus take such stories with a hefty grain of salt.

Wojtek