[lbo-talk] Hitch does standup

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 18:47:48 PDT 2003

This is a modern liberal thing, McGovern and after. Lyndon Johnson was an unashamed, cut-em-off-at-the-pass, take-no-quarter, bring-their-balls-home-in-a-bag sort of liberal. He was a son of a bitch, but, like Huey Long and FDR, he got things done, many of them good. (He prised Marshall out of the SG''s office and plunked him onto the 2d Cir and then the SCt, saying, I want them to see a n-word on the bench, get your black ass up there!) We need some not-nice liberals. A Lyndon Johnson without the war. . . . jks

Maria Gilmore <mgilmore at bigzoo.net> wrote:I've heard this line of thought before; liberals are too "nice" to really, I mean REALLY, take their beliefs in their teeth and act accordingly. That "I'd really rather be singing Kumbaya than fighting about this" kind of mentality. That "NOTHING is worth going into vicious/ballistic mode for me" thing. Not so the Right. For example they tried to flay Clinton's skin off at every turn because they really believed he was the Antichrist or something. He was THE ENEMY, and to those folks that means NO QUARTER GIVEN. HE MUST BE DESTROYED.