[lbo-talk] Hitch does standup

Maria Gilmore mgilmore at bigzoo.net
Tue Jun 10 06:39:35 PDT 2003

Johnson was sure as hell no prince, but he did get some types of legislation passed that no one else had up til then and no one has been able to since. It was a classic meeting of preparedness and opportunity: he was a master of Congress and he was given a window to act with the death of JFK, which he seized in order to ram thru more social spending than anyone ever has in American history. I understand Johnson's White House actually authored and passed more legislation than any administration ever has, to this day.

Today it seems we have a weird mirror situation with the Bushies; Dubya and his crew capitalizing on the opportunities presented by a terrible event that shook the US Govt.

***There is no such thing as apolitical art. ***