[lbo-talk] spam subjects

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Tue Jun 17 14:58:22 PDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 at 5:19pm Michael Pollak wrote:

> I'm with Matt -- SpamAssassin does a great first cut, then
> you can catch the remainder with something else.

but there's a difference between cleaning up your own inbox and trying to do it for a whole company (or several, in my case) like matt or myself...

for me, the first cut is rejecting the smtp transaction so the offending filth never even gets on my server, never mind my mailbox. but this in not to say spamass isn't great -- it is (and i was using it's dropin support for razor when i was using razor), it is just that no one tool will do it all. also, if i blackholed all apnic address space *my* personal spam problem would almost cease to exist. so would my company's business :-).

if i threw away every piece of html mail, i wouldn't lose a single piece of mail from family or friends (they are trainable and were trained a long time ago), but i'd lose a buttload of business related mail (customers aren't nearly as trainable).

> Not being as highpowered as him, I just filter it with
> procmail. Most of the low point count stuff has
> identifiable sources, which is how they get a low point
> count.
>
> The combination makes a flood back into a trickle and a
> fury-inducing phenomenon back into a mere annoyance.

not here. i deploy a new tool, smile with self satisfaction at the neat and tidy inbox, and the scum find a new way to spam and the tide rolls in afresh. rinse and repeat.

there will never be a technological solution to the social problem that is spam. there must be legislation and there must be enforcement. or a revolution in social relations (you'll have to talk to somebody else about that, i'm an athiest.)

-- no Onan

"superior sound quality"