[lbo-talk] Dean: hang 'em high!

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at enterprize.net.au
Wed Jun 18 00:26:17 PDT 2003

At 1:30 AM -0500 18/6/03, Shane Taylor wrote:

>Bill Bartlett wrote:
>> You are merely not civilised enough to know it is
>> uncivilised to kill people you don't approve of.
>
><eyeroll> If Justin's not civilized, then it's either not worth being or
>unachievable.

<single raised eyebrow> Your assertion fails to take cognizance of my argument or his. He implies that the death penalty is the height of civilisation. "We are not civilized enough to have [the death penalty]", because its use will be perverted by racist politics.

My response is that state sponsored execution can NEVER be anything but politically motivated. This is stating the obvious, surely? Any supporter of the death penalty, even one who supports it only in some theoretical or abstract circumstances as does Justin, is still an apologist for politically motivated killing. This is the central point I was making to Justin, the banter about whether he or the death penalty is "civilised" is quite unimportant. He lives in a city, so I guess he is technically "civilised".

> And Woj is a curmudgeon. Bitter? Sure. But he is hardly
>the equivalent of a skinhead.

I didn't say he was a skinhead, I was scolding him for getting down it the gutter with them, by "...aping their lack of respect for the life and dignity of others." Most skin-heads are young and foolish, he ought to know better.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas