fox etc

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Mar 6 08:51:47 PST 2003

> I've always been fascinated by these guys. I used to
> watch one of the early precursors -- Morton Downey --
> religiously. Drove my wife crazy. I listened to
> Michael Savage-Wiener for a while too -- he's by far
> the worst I've ever heard. I often listen to Liddy
> in the morning; he is perfectly vicious too but very
> sharply focused. Plus he doesn't take himself too
> seriously so he's easier to take. Savage insults
> multitudes on the slimmest of pretexts. The Salon
> piece on Savage -- his past as a Berkeley beatnik
> herbalist -- is very good.
>
> mbs

Haven't heard Savage, but from what I've read, I'm beginning to think he's a put-on, a parody of far-right radio. Then again, maybe not.

I had several friends go on Morton Downey's show to debate this or that, and I couldn't understand it. They got nowhere. A few words in before Downey began screaming and whipping up the audience. That's why, when I was invited on, I turned it down. Thinking back, though, I should have gone on as some kind of character, fake moustache, thick glasses, etc., and spewed all manner of demented things. That might have been fun.

DP