Koizumi backs Bush, says onus is on Iraq

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Mar 18 16:47:39 PST 2003

HindustanTimes.com

Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Koizumi backs Bush, says onus is on Iraq

Agence France-Presse Tokyo, March 18

Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi said on Tuesday Japan supported the United States' position on Iraq and believed the use of military force could be justified by existing UN resolutions, although there was still a chance for peace.

"President Bush has made various efforts to gain international cooperation," Koizumi told reporters.

"Amid such efforts, I believe it was an unavoidable decision," he said, referring to President George W Bush's ultimatum for Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein to flee his country in 48 hours or face a US-led invasion. "I support the US stance," he said.

The prime minister said all hope of a peaceful end to the crisis was not dead but depended on Saddam Hussein.

"Although extremely limited, I believe peaceful solutions can still be found. But it is solely up to the government of Iraq and President Hussein," Koizumi said.

© Hindustan Times Ltd. 2002. Reproduction in any form is prohibited without prior permission