Russians ditch dollar for euro

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Wed Mar 19 06:26:30 PST 2003

This half sounds like total spin to avoid the conclusion that average Russians are voting with their pocketbooks because of the situation in Iraq.

It would occur to me to check out how much of dollar holdings in Russian are individual vs corporate / business accounts. I am guessing that is not the easiest number to come up with. It also seems possible that there are a mix of reasons why corporate accounts are still sticking with the dollar. One reason might be that there are probably a fair number of administrative costs associated with a big switch for the short term. So if the situation in Iraq goes badly, would there likely be more corporate switching?

DoreneC