Revolutionary Defeatism RE: POW's

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 25 16:14:32 PST 2003

Kelley wrote:

> what i don't understand is why anyone wants to iraqi people to get caught
> in the crossfire. high casualties on our side will mean high casualties on
> theirs. these are not separable from one another.

Kelley, you are introspecting too much, and asking others to do the same. It was in response to this sort of peering into one's inner consciousness and worrying about it that I objected last week to the amount of wishing going on.

Deaths are going to come. No one can quite make a full count of the number of deaths the u.s. has caused in the last half century. And will continue to cause. So of course we want the u.s. defeated, everywhere and all the time. That is merely a matter of clearly stating to ourselves and others our political goals.

No one dies from anyone's wish (wish in the sense of a precise record of the state of a perosn's soul). Nor does anyone live from anyone's wish. The struggle continues, regardless.

And Iraqi are not dying because we wish them to fight and die. If they decide to fight, that is their choice, correct? And if they fight, do we not wish them well? We don't wish them ill, do we? The U.S. government, not your or my wishes, kills them.

We oppose this war because we oppose the war aims of the U.S., correct?

Our purpose is not to feel comfortable. Our purpose is to generate internal resistance to u.s. imperialism -- i.e. to the slaughter which the u.s. has imposed, is imposing, and will continue to impose on the world until it is stopped.

Carrol