[lbo-talk] Re: Cuba petition

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri May 2 06:22:38 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Ballard" <swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au>
>Which makes a Bush invasion more possible since it
>will be done in the name of the Cuban people with
>plenty of Miami Cubans speaking in the name of a
>country whose people cannot themselves speak without
>risking jail.-- Nathan newwman

-The people of the United State have the right to speak -without risking jail; but I take exception to the -implied notion here that the capitalist controlled -electoral process expresses their will.

Yet the problem in Cuba is that Castro has not tried to create any real democratic alternative system. He could create a system of complete public financing of candidates, where anyone receiving outside funding (including from the US) would be barred from running for office. As long as any candidate could run for office without retaliation, that would solve the problem of outside influence.

But Castro won't allow even that kind of election.

-- Nathan