[lbo-talk] Soft Drink of the Real

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sun May 11 18:06:17 PDT 2003

Quoting Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net>:

> Capitalist reality selling the depiction of a machine-run slave-state
> simulation and making big money from it's destruction (assuming the thing
> existed to begin with). Impressive.

Dangerous. Mustn't let the human crops get ideas. That's why 6% of California's schoolteachers are about to be fired.

> Apart from all that, did you enjoy the film?

William Gibson's reaction was pretty similar to mine: "They got it mostly right." There were a few nitpicky holes in the plot, but I hadn't realized it was the first of a trilogy. What made it work is that, like all great sci-fi, all the technological metaphors turn back into micropolitical categories.

-- DRR