[lbo-talk] Soft Drink of the Real

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sun May 11 20:28:03 PDT 2003

> > Apart from all that, did you enjoy ["The Matrix]"?
>
> William Gibson's reaction was pretty similar to mine: "They got it mostly
> right." There were a few nitpicky holes in the plot, but I hadn't realized
it
> was the first of a trilogy. What made it work is that, like all great
sci-fi,
> all the technological metaphors turn back into micropolitical categories.
>
> -- DRR

Yes. There were various Hollywood hooks in the thing -- to be expected -- but I was impressed with the overall theme.

Took my daughter to see "X2" today. I was amazed that one of the main enemies in the film was the US military, esp since the sequel was made after 9/11. And in the trailer for "The Hulk," Big Green throws US Army tanks around and decimates American soldiers. Does Marvel have a Saddam jones?

DP