[lbo-talk] Chomsky: USA "best country in the world"

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Nov 2 19:15:32 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> The conclusion of Deborah Solomon's obnoxious interview with Noam
> Chomsky in today's NYT Mag
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/02/magazine/02QUESTIONS.html>:
>
>> [Q] Have you considered leaving the United States permanently?
>>
>> [A] No. This is the best country in the world.

I've found myself in agreement over the years with pretty much everything that Chomsky says, but I do not understand this stupid pandering to the "Love America or Leave it Crowd." Chomsky should know better and he should know that praising America is not going to win him any converts among the hardcore right-wingers. This statement also flies in the face of Chomsky's body of work, which prove convincingly that America is a dangerous rogue state, among many other bad things.

Is Chomsky trying to insult the intelligence of his many supporters?

Why would Chomsky give his critics this kind of ammunition? Now they can just say: "Oh, pay no attention to that Chomsky guy. He criticizes America, but he must not think that things are that bad because he says that America is the best country in the world."

<< Chuck0 >>

Homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Monumental Mistake (blog)-> http://chuck.mahost.org/weblog/index.php Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ MutualAid ISP -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Infoshop Portal -> http://portal.infoshop.org/ Infoshop Science -> http://science.infoshop.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)