[lbo-talk] Chomsky: USA "best country in the world"

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sun Nov 2 19:44:55 PST 2003

Chuck0:

> I've found myself in agreement over the years with pretty much
> everything that Chomsky says, but I do not understand this stupid
> pandering to the "Love America or Leave it Crowd." Chomsky should know
> better and he should know that praising America is not going to win him
> any converts among the hardcore right-wingers. This statement also flies
> in the face of Chomsky's body of work, which prove convincingly that
> America is a dangerous rogue state, among many other bad things.

Actually, Chomsky's been pretty consistent over the years, in both his written and oral output, about the many positive feelings he has about the US, and there are many positive things about the US that -- surprise! -- progressive forces have had a hand in creating.

I don't think he's looking for rightwing converts. I think that's the way he really feels.

> Is Chomsky trying to insult the intelligence of his many supporters?

Not those who've actually read his work, or watched him say the same things in the film "Manufacturing Consent."

> Why would Chomsky give his critics this kind of ammunition? Now they can
> just say: "Oh, pay no attention to that Chomsky guy. He criticizes
> America, but he must not think that things are that bad because he says
> that America is the best country in the world."

That's a ridiculous take, Chuck. Think through this a little bit more.

DP