[lbo-talk] RE HOW THE ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT IS BLOWING IT:

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Nov 3 14:35:51 PST 2003

> Q: How does African poverty today contribute to
> European and North American wealth?
>
> Companion Q: How does G7 wealth contribute to African poverty?
>
> African poverty ---> G7 wealth:
> -- sales of African labor-power and other commodities to G7 at prices
G7

The cumulative value of African import to the US (mainly from Nigeria, S. Africa, and "other countries" which also include non-African countries) was $54.bn in 2003

http://www.bea.doc.gov/bea/newsrel/trad0803.xls Table 14

This is about 7% of all US imports, and abut 0.5% of the GDP. This is not even a drop in a bucket.

As I said before, there are better ways of criticizing US foreign policy than making preposterously indefensible claims.

Wojtek