[lbo-talk] RE HOW THE ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT IS BLOWING IT: REVISITED

N P Childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 3 20:19:28 PST 2003

>npchilds at shaw.ca wrote:
>
> >Ummm, I have no idea what this means.
> >From: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:19:29 -0500
> >How are we 'profiting from US belligerence'?
>
>You have incomes close to U.S. levels, and profit from the Pentagon's
>defense of the global hierarchy, and the U.S. Treasury's defense of
>financial orthodoxy. Free-riders on imperialism, you are. You owe us
>some money!
>
>Doug

Sorry, spent busy weekend spent shovelling snow (yeah, snow) and now I'm about 2 days behind the thread.

Indeed, we are free riders, in fact we had to get a free ride to get our heavy equipment (ie. anything bigger than a jeep) to Afghanistan.

Just a part of the paradox of foreign policy that is Canada; we decline nuclear weapons in the 60's, then turn into a testing ground for the cruise in the 80's. Lots of talk about being a 'middle power' in a bi-polar world where, by definition, there was no middle.

Now, no idea what the hell to do, the decision on Iraq was one of the few times when the imperatives of trade policy didn't over ride a foreign policy decision.

Weird.

PC

N Paul Childs 5967-157 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5Y 2P3

e-fax 413-683-9725 _______________________________________________________ 'Gee thanks, your validation means oh, so much to me'.

-Art 'Bones' MacDesalavo