[lbo-talk] RE: computer associates

cian cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 11:31:49 PST 2003

Granted CA seem to be the worst (does any of their software work?), but almost all the large consultancy companies produce rubbish software and are horrible to work for. I think IBM are probably okay, but that's about it. EDS are not only producers of dreck, but try to turn their workers into some kind of 50s clone. Rumour has it (which I think I got someone to confirm at some point) that for a while they had an approved set of haircuts for employees. The odd thing was that when they bought companies, they left the conditions as they were for existing employees, but enforced EDS conditions on new hires. So you might find people working in the same office - some typically badly dressed programmers, the rest besuited and bequiffed. Wierd. I assume that the computer company that Keanu Reeves works for in the Matrix is either EDS, or CA.

Accenture is the company I don't understand. To my knowledge they have never completed a project successfully. Every one I've seen the results of has been a total failure. They bully the customer, they charge a fortune - often for English grads fresh out of college. They should have a terrible reputation, but they still get hired. In Britain they seem to have been responsible for every governemnt IT project ever - every one of which has failed horribly. And yet they still get hired. It can't just be corruption. Institutional stupidity? The power of a good suit?

Advancement at Accenture is through management. As soon as you get promoted, you stop programming, and manage other programmers. End result is that the people who do the work are fresh hires, with virtually no experience. Odd, but probably means that outsourcing is ideally suited to their methods.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org]On Behalf Of joanna bujes Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 2:37 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] RE: computer associates

"NEW YORK: Computer Associates International Inc plans to hire several hundred workers in India and China in the next year, its top executive told employees on Friday."

FYI: Computer Associates is the most hated employer in hi tech. They are to programmers as industrialized poultry factories are to chickens. Too horrible to contemplate.

Joanna