[lbo-talk] RE: Oberlin College

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Mon Nov 10 12:29:34 PST 2003

Mike Larkin writes

"Actually, part of my point was that they were watching it IN THE CHURCH BASEMENT. That's pushing the Hypocricy Meter into the ozone, anyway you look at it.

We altar boys found out about it because that's where we went to smoke dope."

No, that's my point: it's enjoyable BECAUSE it's "illegal" or "sinful." Free joy pales by comparison if you've been brought up that way. The subconscious knows no negatives, and when its drives are met by injunctions it simply amplifies those drives. I was not brought up religiously, but I'm sure that if I had been brought up by Catholics who reminded me everyday how sinful things were which I should never have...I would have desired those things only more ardently.

As Blake put it: Prisons are built with stones of law/Brothels with bricks of religion.

Joanna