[lbo-talk] Re: Democratic Co-creators of Growing Inequalities in America...

Jeet Heer jeet at sturdynet.com
Mon Nov 24 10:04:10 PST 2003

> Alas for the CEOs, Clinton raised their taxes, for which they never
> forgave them. Bush, however, cut their taxes - thus the shower of
> campaign donations.
>
> A few years ago, Ron Blackwelll told the story of meeting with some
> Fortune 500 CEOs. He said something like: "I don't get it. Profits
> are way up, the stock market is way up, yet you still hate Clinton.
> Why?" Their answer: "He raised our taxes."

The same is true of Franklin Roosevelt -- reading Conrad Black's biography and some other books on Roosevelt, it is interesting to see how incredibly myopic the bussiness elite was in the 1930s. Even Black is smart enoug to see that Roosevelt saved capitalism; yet few business men of the 1930s or later saw it this way. They were too concerned about their own tax rate to see the bigger picture.