[lbo-talk] RE: right to vote (was left radical critique)

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Wed Nov 26 15:18:30 PST 2003

In a message dated 11/26/2003 2:48:21 PM Pacific Standard Time, jbujes at covad.net writes:

> Accurate information isn't pedantry. I brought this subject up a couple of
> years ago and somebody looked it up: the results were (then) that in some
> states disenfranchisment was absolute and permanent; in some states there was no
> disenfranchisment; and in the rest there were varying waiting periods and a
> long path back to enfranchisement...applications to fill out, bureaucratic
> hurdles to be jumped etc. To my mind, given the demographics of ex-felons, the
> folks in the last category are not likely to ever vote again.
>
> Perhaps a lot has changed since then. I don't know.
>
> Joanna

Based on my continuing highly scientific ( ;-) ), exhort the felons at the bus stop to go vote survey, I do not think much has changed.

As a general comment about electoral participation, EVEN THOUGH I am consistently underwhelmed by the two major political parties, I think participation in elections is essential, and I usually aspire to the following ideas:

--Campaign strongly and coherently enough about some topic, say real nationwide universal health insurance to make the major parties come to you for support.

--Concentrate on voter registration, voter mobilization, restoration of voting rights to felons and other paths that bring traditionally underrepresented voices into the system but do not necessarily bring easy to poll, easy to count on servile adherents of any party.

--Do everything I can to ensure the intergrity of the process.

There would be a few other points but....

DoreneC -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20031126/8c0f713b/attachment.htm>