[lbo-talk] Re: Black music makes history

dave dorkin ddorkin1 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 12 17:46:21 PDT 2003

I do disagree myself & I know alot of musicians who also do. How many I cant say, but most non musicians would be hard pressed to meaningfully evaluate the music, more so now than ever before. I would say that the general public in the US no doubt agrees with you though. I think jazz is something very different from what it used to be. More fused with other phrasings, timbres, styles, extended harmonies & rhythms the people you mention never imagined & the idea of a relative dearth of good jazz is much stronger in the musically more conservative american jazz imagination.

Dave

--- andie nachgeborenen: But I don't believe that most jazz people would put any of these people in the same league with Coltrane or Parker or Ellington or Armstrong. I actually don't believe that you do. If you do, well, you and I disagree about whether there is a falling off (or an efflorescence) that needs explanation.