[lbo-talk] Good news ...

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 13 08:26:03 PDT 2003

... at least according to the Wall Street Journal. From today's edition:

Isn't This Rich? Wealthy Boost Economy

By Jon E. Hilsenrath

New York -- William Benbassat recently walked into Gearys of Beverly Hills, planning to buy a Rolex watch. Instead, the Los Angeles businessman bought two, one gold and one platinum, spending $50,000. Mr. Benbassat is also in the market for LeRoy Neiman paintings and is planning to take a luxury cruise to New England.

"My spending is up quite a bit," says Mr. Benbassat, founder and chief executive of Reliable Health Care Services Inc., an outplacement firm [!]. That's a recent change in attitude, he says, and "I feel good about it."

It would also please some economists, who believe that spending by affluent consumers such as Mr. Benbassat -- who have benefited more than others from this year's tax cuts, a resurgent stock market, and a springtime home-refinancing boom -- is playing an important and overlooked role in the economy's rising fortunes....

<gag>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your existing Internet access and enjoy patented spam protection and more. Sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/byoa