[lbo-talk] Re: Film notes

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sun Oct 26 16:30:32 PST 2003

Thomas writes:

"By the way, I do not deny being privleged. I also refuse to be brow-beaten by another person who is privleged, relatively speaking. I suspect that the "game" or "fun" aspect of politics wont be liked by those who feel they are morally one-up and couldn't be subject to such a base reason for being political such as "fun">"

I wasn't brow beating you, I was suggesting how someone might not think of politics as fun -- not because they are righteous, narrowminded, hierarchy bound, joyless (puritannical) -- because for them it's simply a matter of life or death.

I have personally never witnessed nor been part of "fun" politics. I have met a few people who do a lot of political work. They don't look like their having fun; they look like they're doing the most thankless and arduous job ever devised. For example, I watched my office mate put together a sign-in campaign for the retrial of Mummia. It took him the better part of a year, working nearly full time, to put together the funding for running an ad in some of the major papers in the U.S. and to get well-known artists and writers to sign the petition. There are lots of things that aren't all that much fun that are definitely worth doing. And I don't think that having fun is base in any way. I just don't like corporations organizing my fun (as in sports as spectacle.)

Joanna