[lbo-talk] Iraq & Gaidar

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 16 02:45:31 PDT 2003

I think I'm over, but this was too good to pass up:

Russia: Shock (and Awe) Therapy for Iraq? The U.S. interim administration in Iraq chooses Yegor Gaidar, Russia’s “shock therapist,” as an advisor.

ULYANOVSK, Russia--Could Yegor Gaidar, the mastermind of the “shock therapy” applied to Russia’s economy in the 1990s, be called to do the same job in Iraq? In a country where 33 million live below the poverty line, the revelation that Gaidar, who many believe played a major role in their impoverishment, has been invited to talk with U.S. officials in Baghdad has come as a shock and caused widespread anger.

It has also become a source of black humor. A joke now doing the rounds is that the Americans may have pledged not to unleash weapons of mass destruction in Iraq but they are now inviting one: Gaidar.

http://www.tol.cz/look/TOLnew/article.tpl?IdLanguage=1&IdPublication=4&NrIssue=49&NrSection=6&NrArticle=10669&ST1=body&ST_T1=wir&ST_PS1=4&ST_AS1=0&ST_LS1=0&ST_max=1

_________________________________________________________________ Need more e-mail storage? Get 10MB with Hotmail Extra Storage. http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es