[lbo-talk] "Cadre"? Re: dalai lama in nyc

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 08:55:57 PDT 2003

It's not a matter of whom I feel "comfortable" with, Dennis. Youw orkw ith the people who are doing things. When the cops are out busting heads, I don't ask, sorry, are you a Stalinist? Because if you are it would offend my liberal democratic senisbilities to represent you or defend your rights against police abuse. Quite apart from the fact that as an ACLUnik as well as a Guildie, I'd defend the rights of Nazis, never mind Stalinists -- that's part of people a liberal democrat, something some so-called lib dems haven't quite picked up on -- the fact is that political work involves making coalitions with people you don't agree with on lots of issues. I work with Democratic Party members who support capitalism but oppose the war. I work with Republican libertarians, ditto. I work with people who joined ANSWER because it was doings omething and don't know from the WWP. I work with WWP and RCP membersw ho are good organizers. If you don't workw ith them because you are too pure to workw ith anyone you disgaree with, at least don't redbait those of use who are doing something while you enjoy your purity. If you take that as barking orders, well, I take your splitting and dvisiveness on grounds tahtw ere tired in 1948 as just plain barking. You are serving the other side in this, just don't fool yourself.

jks