[lbo-talk] RE: Justin and Dennix

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Sep 23 18:35:46 PDT 2003

Kelley wrote:

> If I buy it for them, though, I'm going to insist that they keep the same
> name: Master's Bait Shop.

Just outside the village of Millburg Michigan back in the '30s there was a sign that on one side said "Electrical Work Did"; on the other side it said "Repent thee and therefore be converted. Electrical Repairing." (Actually, I think there was a biblical quotation to go with the "Electrical Work Did," but it wasn't as memorable.)

Back around 1966 there was this young assistant professor in the English Department here who was a first-class asskisser. There was an older professor (a real asshole) who pulled a lot of weight in the dept, and also had a fairly nasty tongue. At a party young Gus (the asst. prof.), fawning over the prof, says, "I hear you are a master baiter." That is not a joke. That actually happened. Not all English Ph.D.s necessarily have a very good ear for verbal niceties. (Or even verbal crudities.)

Carrol