[lbo-talk] Jeffrey Sachs: "Bush's Billions Will Only Prolong

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 25 03:34:48 PDT 2003

Brad DeLong wrote:

>Sachs has *always* seen himself as a man of the left--it's an important
>part of his identity. But he's also seen himself as a man of the
>egg-breaking omelette-making realistic world-changing left, not a
>pie-in-the-sky-by-and-by dreamer or a mere interpreter of the world...

And 100 million Russians hate him for it.

Doug --- Can somebody please explain to me why such demonstrably practically disastrous economists as Sachs and Aslund still get invited to symposia? This is like inviting Lysenko to a conference on biogenetics. Economics must be a very forgiving science indeed.

Aslund writes reams of print trying to exonerate himself by taking the wily strategem of arguing that the post-Soviet economic collapse never happened. He's like the David Irving of post-Soviet Russian studies.

_________________________________________________________________ Help protect your PC. Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963