[lbo-talk] Re: Israel's "right to exist"

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sun Sep 28 09:05:18 PDT 2003

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:40:50 -0700, Brad DeLong <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:

> And the people of Israel? Where do they go?
>

> Brad DeLong

USA is a colonial settler state as well. How many millions of Indians were killed off? (See, "American Holocaust, " by David Stannard, Oxford University Press, and Ward Churchill).

Do I buy a one way ticket back to Apuglia in Italy? And, then whoever the Italians ethnically cleansed will I have to move again?

Yes, the Palestinians shouldn't have to pay a horrendous price for the crimes of German anti-semitism, rooted in Christianity and other ideologies and institutions but, if this conflict is ever going to be resolved, where neither side can win militarily in a definitive fashion (cf. El Salvador FDR-FMLN, Northern Ireland, Columbia), an "historic compromise" will have to be fashioned. And given how over time the balance of ideological forces among Palestinians has shifted towards the Islamists, is there any reasonable hope for the "secular, democratic one-state, " option or is that a miasma? Tariq Ali, for example, supports the two-state solution.

-- Michael Pugliese