[lbo-talk] RE: "Air America"

Gary Mongiovi MONGIOVG at stjohns.edu
Thu Apr 1 06:04:57 PST 2004

Actually, I kind of like the idea of co-opting right-wing patriotic window-dressing for progressive purposes. It's not clear to me that the station's name reflects inattention to detail. It may have been a clever ploy.

I really enjoyed the O'Franken Factor. I must confess that I just love hearing AF say "Bush is going DOWN!" It's my motto until November 3. And the Bob Elliot bit was a hoot; it's great to hear him on the radio again. I caught a few other bits of another show this morning that was a little too smug & sour for my taste--the sort of lefty holier-than-thou-ism that turns off open-minded moderates.

Like most members of this list I have major problems with Kerry, and I wish AF would bring a more critical perspective to his attitude towards the Dems. But I was favorably impressed by his show and I think the station is a useful and beneficial presence on the airwaves.

Regards,

Gary

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:50:14 +0100 (BST) From: Daniel Davies <d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk> Subject: [lbo-talk] "Air America" To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Message-ID: <20040401095014.54473.qmail at web21506.mail.yahoo.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

This one just impinged on my consciousness. Does anyone else think that it betrays (at the very least) a certain lack of attention to detail that Al Franken & Co have decided to name their radio station after the CIA's "airline" cum-drugs-smuggling-operation in Southeast Asia?

dd

=====

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 4794 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/20040401/449e0a56/attachment.bin>