[lbo-talk] Kerry & Daschle

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 9 16:36:35 PDT 2004

Joseph Wanzala wrote:

>And the reason Kerry is not able to command any kind of a
>significant lead over Bush is because the Democrats chose a
>candidate who approved all of Bush's foreign and domestic
>atrocities. There is no way to significantly differentiate him
>from the neocons. The neoliberals (Daschle, Gephardt, Lieberman,
>Clinton, Edwards, Kerry and the rest of the gang) have been
>purchased completely by the same corporate elite that owns Bush.
>They chose Kerry as an insurance policy. They win either way. The
>American people lose either way.

***** Daschle Gets His Own Nader

By Brian Faler Monday, April 5, 2004; Page A04

Thomas A. Daschle (D-S.D.) has what some Democrats might call a Ralph Nader problem.

The Senate minority leader, who was already facing a tough reelection fight this year, must now contend with a Native American newspaper publisher who has decided to run for Daschle's seat as an independent.

Tim Giago, editor and publisher of the Lakota Journal, announced that he is ditching his plans to run in the state's Democratic primary -- where he probably would have been trounced -- and, instead, will challenge Daschle and Republican John Thune in the general election.

Giago told the Argus Leader, a newspaper in Sioux Falls, S.D., that the decision will help focus public attention on Native American concerns. "Our issues need to be analyzed, put on the table and discussed," he said. Giago needs to collect more than 3,000 signatures to get his name on the ballot.

His decision likely will complicate Daschle's bid. South Dakota is home to about 60,000 Native Americans, the vast majority of whom vote Democratic. Thune, a former congressman, lost his 2002 bid to unseat Sen. Tim Johnson (D-S.D.) by just 524 votes. Johnson won overwhelmingly among Native Americans. . . .

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A50162-2004Apr4.html> *****

BTW, I need to apologize to you for misspelling your last name the other day. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>