[lbo-talk] RE: Calculated provocation

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 10 07:40:36 PDT 2004

My own view is that a) it was a really really dumb idea to found Israel in the first place (though understandable considering the circumstance). It really does stand out in the annals of bad geopolitical ideas. That said, b) as Israel DOES (unfortunately) exist, obviously its inhabitants have the right to exist. I think it is silly to talk about a _state_ having a "right" to exist.

I think there is a lot of confusion between a and b.

I think that a lot hinges on what one means by being "anti-Israel." There is a difference between being anti- an Israeli government official, a right wing Israeli political party, an unjust action of the Isreali Defense Forces -- on the one hand -- and being opposed to the existence of Israel. (As I've said before, I don't like Ariel Sharon and I'm critical of him and of Likud.) I do not think it's anti-Semitic to criticize current and past Israeli governments. I do think it's anti-Semitic to say or imply that Israel and the Israeli people do not have a right to exist.