[lbo-talk] War and Peace

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sun Apr 25 14:03:30 PDT 2004

> As for international trade preventing war, I seem to recall that that
> was a popular theory before WW I, and it didn't seem to work very well
> then.

The oiligarchy is bent on returning to the 19th century, but its paymasters are not. Three things make world wars exceedingly unlikely today: (1) thermonuclear weapons, which ensure that noone would survive, let alone win, (2) the cultural integration of the planet, via tourism, the Web, the mass media, etc., and (3) the long-term interests of the rising semiperipheries and metropoles are aligned.

> A frantic scramble for
> oil as reserves dwindle and no practical energy alternatives have been
> put into place

The EU and Japan are investing heavily in alternative energy, no?

-- DRR