[lbo-talk] Re: "earning" 200k

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Thu Aug 5 17:17:24 PDT 2004

"...I got into a debate with someone who claimed they made close to $200,000 a year and hated paying so much in taxes ... Of course, like every rich bastard,no matter their family background or actual working experience, they "worked their asses off" for it,"scrimped and saved," and all that..."

while my heart would never bleed for anyone making that much money, there is room for some thought as to how rich such a person might be - relatively speaking - and whether or not that person works hard...

there are at least a handful of upper income folks who do, indeed, put in long, long hours and work very ,very hard, even to the extent of losing families and leisure time, etc...it is part of the idiotic success trip, but is very different than some truly rich stiff who "earns" that much simply by collecting interest from inherited wealth...

anyway, that much money only looks big to those of us who'll never see it...really rich people do not work, and would call "close to 200K" something like petty cash, or what they paid their accountant...

fs