[lbo-talk] Re: "earning" 200k

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Thu Aug 5 17:33:32 PDT 2004

frank scott wrote:

>anyway, that much money only looks big to those of us who'll never see
>it...really rich people do not work, and would call "close to 200K"
>something like petty cash, or what they paid their accountant...

Very true. It also depends where people live. In the Bay Area, two (married) professional wage earners can pull in this much. One salary pays the mortgage; the other pays for everything else. If you figure that one or two kids are in private school ($14,00/year a piece) this does not leave a luxurious life.

I'm not saying that these people are to be pitied or anything. I'm just saying that an income earned by a mere 5% or the population basically only adds up to a nice house (not a palace), a decent education for the kids, and maybe some savings (if anybody is saving). Chances are people who are working like this and earning this kind of money are compensating themselves in all kidns of ways...and unless they are wise, there are probably not much savings.

Joanna