Relativism and Rorty (Was Re: [lbo-talk] Democracy and ConstitutionalRights)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 13 20:34:37 PDT 2004

> I don't agree with the notion that since there's no correct standard of morality, we ought not impose our own standard (if there's no correct standard, why shouldn't we feel free to impose our own, as arbitrary as it may be?).

Right, except that our standards are tolerant, right?

> But surely there's a better case for some sort of subjectivist view (e.g. expressivism) regarding ethics than, say, mathematics or astronomy.

Nope. Least I haven't heard such a case in 30 years of doing philosophy. Best shot is probably Gil Harman's, and I think it rests on a fallacy that empirical facts are specially observable and compel us to conclusions, which I have already explained in thsi thread is wrong. Btw,. have you read Allan Gibbard's new book, where he more or less admits expressivism of hsi sort is not subjectivist?

Sorry, list, I promise not to be too technical about this stuff anymore , this is just how philosophers talk, in s sort of cryitic shorthand. For them as don't recall, I used to be a philosopher before I went to law school. Luke is still a philosopher. He hasn't been to law school yet, but he's headed that way. Right, Luke?

jks