[lbo-talk] State of the US Left

Joel Wendland joelrw at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 13 21:55:31 PDT 2004

>I'm not talking about talking. I'm talking about the proletarian
>resistance to M-C-M', the theory-praxis-history-theory circuit - how
>theorists interact with activists who interact with events who interact
>with theory who interact with activists, etc. There seem to be spaces in
>the rest of the world where that interaction is happening. Why isn't this
>happening in the US?

I think it is happening here. And I think we shouldn't look for a neat division between theorists and activists. I think it is possible to get beyond the widely held notion of some on the marxist left that theorists bring revolutionary ideas to the rest of the class. Or, put another way, the class is led from outside by revolutionary theorists. Many intellectuals don't approve of how that's going and prefer to sit it out. Fine. It will go on. Workers are struggling with capitalists daily. The working class intellectuals described by people like Gramsci, Freire, Mariategui, and others exist. We just don't often listen or try to listen. What they say and how they say it doesn't fit neatly into our journals.

Joel Wendland

_________________________________________________________________ On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice on how to get there! http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=Retirement