[lbo-talk] Anybody But Nader

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 25 06:43:06 PDT 2004

Shane Mage wrote:

>It was my impression that the topic of Mike's comment
>>("Among Democrats I know, the mobilization is anything
>>but "top down." It's rank and file Democrats pushing
>reluctant leaders to take tougher stands.")
>was on the topic of their party's efforts to deny voters
>in many states the right to vote for Nader.

That stinks. American ballot access laws are a disgrace, and trying to deny candidates a line is dirty pool. But that's not what I was talking about at all. I was talking about a mobilization of millions of people - MoveOn has more members than the Christian Coalition - to fire Bush. The inability of the hardcore to understand this looks like a problem of political psychology - one of those systematic misunderstandings that shape perceptions of reality - and not one of reading comprehension.

Doug