[lbo-talk] Marc Cooper and the myths that vets make up about being spat on

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Thu Aug 26 19:28:09 PDT 2004

>Yeah, those two sound like they're full of shit. And you certainly wouldn't
>expect many spitting incidents for exactly the reasons you cite--but I still
>wouldn't be shocked if it happened occasionally (though the soldier would
>have to be walking through an anti-war rally or something of the sort--which
>I doubt very many did!).
>
>-- Luke

I've always wondered if any vets who returned home and then joined war protesters were perhaps spat upon by pro-war right wingers or other soldiers or even soon-to-be soldiers? That might provide at least the memory that some people seem to have about seeing vets spat upon. I haven't read Lembcke's book but I did read a paper of his about this subject and he never touched on this. It seems at least as plausible as the more popular being spat upon by hippy chicks stories and people believe that. I also thought the idea predated the Gulf War by several years. Isn't there some reference to soldiers being spat upon in the original Rambo movie from '82?

John Thornton