[lbo-talk] re:POVERTY GAPS DECREASE BETWEEN RACES, AGES, &

Hari Kumar hari.kumar at sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 1 12:10:49 PST 2004

Dear Diane Monaco Thanks for that. Could I ask you or others, some methodological questions to help me understand the data? I wondered whether: i) There was a prior main hypothesis that the authors of this project have stated a-priori? I could not see it on the site address you sent. See complete details at: http://www.manchester.edu/links/violenceindex/

I suppose I should ask the PI's of the project & will if it does not fall out of the conversation; But I am very uncomfortable unless large data projects specify up-front a series of testable hypotheses that can be statistically refuted or otherwise. [Please, could I be spared the onslaught of simply pious lectures about reductionism etc]. 2) In the graphical data re the institutional variables for violence, the one that is in stark apparent difference to the others is the law enforcement & the institutional variables is social negligence. But the social negligence is in apparent contradiction to the child abuse data. I assume that statistical power in such vast data sets are simply of on consequence. Is that right? Cheers, Hari Kumar