[lbo-talk] Kerry: America First!

Liza Featherstone lfeather at panix.com
Thu Feb 5 11:30:43 PST 2004

Of course he is probably lying about being against gay marriage and for civil unions - which is what he actually said- the likely truth is that he really doesn't care about the difference, or doesn't want to get creamed by the right over it. He voted against DOMA, and hardly anyone did that. Even Paul Wellstone voted for DOMA. Then again, if Kerry was in some weird secret way opposed to gay marriage and still voted against DOMA because, as he said at the time, it was ugly hateful politics, that's actually pretty principled and almost admirable. (Did Ralph Nader at some point say he was against gay marriage, in the 1996 campaign, or am I scurrilously hallucinating??)

Kerry is a liberal. We'd like to live in a world where someone like him is a conservative, but we don't. It's our job to make a world like that, and we haven't succeeded yet. But that goal isn't really advanced by worrying over the particular flaws of one liberal individual, and how he could be more liberal -- nothing much is accomplished by individuals anyway. we need to create the conditions under which someone better could become president, and since we're currently failing to do that, we are so lucky he isn't a whole lot worse! Someone like Kerry is as left as we're going to get from the DP at this point in history, and I frankly am astounded that he is going to get the DP nomination.

Liza