[lbo-talk] RE: Theory of Porn

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Fri Feb 6 06:38:51 PST 2004

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Michael Dawson -PSU

> Abolish the "separate spheres" ideology that protects men from the labor
of child-rearing, and the whole gender system cracks open.

and from the labour cooking, cleaning, scrubbing, caring, communicating... I read somewhere that men who identify as feminists do 5 minutes more domestic labour a week than the typical chauvinist. With friends like that...

And... I just want to add I think there is more to this than the division of labour. There are powerful symbol elements that contribute to the reproduction of masculinity: initiation ceremonies, religious traditions, local customs, the dearth of rituals for women, and so on. Simply changing up the labour system might not be enough... we might actually have to change the way we think. But until then... all you fella's out there... it's time to spend the weekend on your knees.

ken