[lbo-talk] Advertisings effects (was Death of Dean)

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Sun Feb 15 18:00:44 PST 2004

What was the point of your post? You defended Carrol's usual dismissal of the idea that "saying the truth effectively is in itself of any good." You tried to do so by using Carrol's status as an "academic" as your substantive argument.

Not only is this ridiculous, especially on Doug Henwood's bulletin board, but I myself assure you that my own academic credentials are at least as good as Carrol's or yours.

You doubt students' ability to draw good conclusions from a straightforward presentation of simple truth-tellers like Chomsky. You implied that, in your experience, your students can't do that.

I said that's not my experience, and implied that you're a bad teacher.

What did I miss?