[lbo-talk] Kerry vs. Edwards

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 14:30:03 PST 2004

KERRY VS. EDWARDS www.prorev.com

ON PAPER there isn't much to choose between Kerry and Edwards. They were both wrong about the major issues of the recent past including the Iraq war, the Patriot Act, and the Bush education plan. Neither has done anything to qualify for the presidency. Both are hustlers, albeit of different cultural character.

Kerry slips and slides with the political winds, illustrated by the fact that while historically liberal in his voting, he has become indistinguishable on major matters from George Bush. Kerry was also once a war hero, but that was long ago and as well as can be determined - based on subsequent behavior during which he has shown no courage - what happened in Vietnam was an aberration. Edwards' most notable achievement has been to obtain large sums of money in the court room, in at least some cases through the use of questionable science to accuse doctors of faults that belong properly to the gene pool. Like the Texas trial lawyer, he has stolen from the rich and given approximately half to the poor.

There is thus little for Democrats to be pleased or proud about. The only blessing is that their opponent is considerably worse.

In the wake of Wisconsin, however, those who have been prattling about Kerry's electability might wish to pause for a reassessment. According to the exit poll, Edwards received more than twice as much support from Republicans as did Kerry and 40% more support from independents. The Kerry electability argument has been dubious from the start; now thanks to Wisconsin we have the proof.

Further, familiarity in the case of Kerry does not breed fondness. We have found those knowledgeable of his career to be at best apologetic or forgiving of a man who is clearly boring, arrogant, shifting, and narcissistic. On the other hand, the adjectives for Edwards by those who know him fall into the likable, pleasant, nice guy genre. With the months we still have to go, the difference is not insignificant.

As for those who share our political distaste for the narrowed choice, there is still plenty of time to hide in the weeds. The Anyone But Bush crowd, the Katrina vanden Heuvels and the like are playing the same dumb game they played when Clinton arrived, stretching themselves out on the bed and saying to candidates largely indifferent to their cause, 'Do what you want with me.' Clinton did just that and it was the end of any decent progressive politics in this country.

Liberals, unique among political groups, seem to think that appeasement is the key to political power and never seem to notice those in power laughing at them. Even if one eventually decides to vote for Kerry or Edwards, now is no time to let them know it. Learn a lesson from Howard Dean and at least make them change their politics a bit. - SAM SMITH

_________________________________________________________________ Take off on a romantic weekend or a family adventure to these great U.S. locations. http://special.msn.com/local/hotdestinations.armx