[lbo-talk] Freud (and Why Not Jung?)

Louis Kontos Louis.Kontos at liu.edu
Thu Feb 19 18:02:30 PST 2004

The batting average, as you call it, of psychoanalysis is not good. But neither is 'talking therapy' in general as successful as some on this list would have us believe. Freud had very complex and contradictory ideas about the aims of 'therapy', however. And institutional psychoanalysis, which draws a sharp distinction between Freudian 'meta' psychology and psychoanalytic therapy, appears to have served a reactionary purpose throughout the 20th century. I wouldn't defend any of it, except to say that the alternatives (talking therapy and whatever) are mostly worse. When you ask 'why not Jung', I'm not sure about the point of your question. I assume you know that Jung agreed with much of Freud and that Freud thought of him as his most brilliant disciple. The notion of a collective unconscious is not baseless; but it is neither empirical nor directly relevant to an understanding of contemporary and historic events as Freudian theory. As for shamans, I would guess they understood something about human psychology too, maybe worth considering in some way, but don't know enough about shamanism to comment.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Seay" <entheogens at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 4:19 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Freud (and Why Not Jung?)