[lbo-talk] RE: Fashion

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sat Feb 21 13:09:53 PST 2004

"In high fashion, the dominant trend of recent years has been the so-called new simplicity; clothes are unpretentious in style, colours are dark and the designer's name is not displayed on the outside of the garment. The goal of this style is to accentuate the individual's inner qualities; the dress just helps the individual express what he or she is. Thus it does not try to change the individual into someone else or crate an image in which the individual would like to see him- or herself; it merely enhances his or her already existing individuality. Today, the individual is not supposed to buy high fashion in order to follow some imposed ideal of beauty, but rather to aid perception of him- or herself as an ideal." Renata Salecl, (Per)Versions of Love and Hate, pg. 1.

I have been sewing for forty years. I can make anything. What is happening to fashion overall is very simple: the simpler the cut, the less labor involved in constructing a garment and the easier it is for the garment to "fit" -- since it eschews all curves, waistlines, etc.

Of course, the wealthy can afford any amount of labor, therefore if high fashion is "simplyfing" itself for the wealthy, I can only conclude that it is to satisfy their unsconscious need for protective coloring as well as to reassure them that they, as "individuals," are still worth something. Ha, ha, ha.

Joanna