[lbo-talk] Tom Frank Is Wrong: It's Goodbye to Right Wing Populism(Was Howard Stern...)

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Thu Feb 26 09:08:10 PST 2004

Tom Frank is mostly wrong, despite his wit. The population is not a pack of hopeless fascist kooks. "Baffling" the masses with cynical left-hipster repartee is not the right agenda; informing it about the workings of institutions of power and domination is. Advertising is not guided by a "culture of cool." Bob Dylan is not artistically inferior to Woody Guthrie. Etc., etc.

I also agree with you, Mike. The right is certainly addicted to the culture wars, but they are slowly and steadily losing them. Racism, sexism, and homophobia continue to decline. For every white guy they snare into the Republican sphere, two other people get convinced that the answers lie on our side, despite the nearly complete incoherence of our collective politics.

I also have a feeling the population will not allow a CA banning gay marriage. Someday soon, it might even be allowed.

La lucha continua! -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20040226/15827111/attachment.htm>