[lbo-talk] Tom Frank Is Wrong: It's Goodbye to Right Wing Populism(Was Howard Stern...)

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Thu Feb 26 09:31:12 PST 2004

Mike:

> I disagree; I think this is good news for Our Side; the
> culture wars, with a little adroit handling, are a battle
> the liberals and the "left" can't lose. I'm usually Mr.
> Pessimism, but I think Bush has really stepped in it here.

I'm not sure what Kelly meant there, but on the specific issues that pander to the Xtian right, I agree with you; these people are repulsive to the rest of the nation, and most other Xtians especially. *BUT* they are tenacious and not afraid or ashamed of their wingnut faction.

Urf. Enough equivocating. I'm basically think there will be violence from Xtian right before this is over. Likely just isolated acts of violence, but violence just the same.

> Hopefully, Tom Frank is also wrong; it appears right wing
> populism is at an end.

On matters of personal morality, yes. As a worldview that propagates specious economic doctrines, e.g., anyone can be rich, the future belongs to individual entrepreneur, etc., I'm not so sure. Those aspects of the ideology have been bloodied, but they're not down for the count yet.

> Or maybe my anti-depressant meds are at too high a
> level. We'll see!

"Does your current AD give you an unrealistically rosy and counterproductive world view? Try Gramscian, and maintain a realistic pessimism of the intellect while sustaining a powerfully motivating optimism of the will!"

Curtiss