[lbo-talk] Re: IAC/ANSWER hack to defend saddam?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 22:28:19 PST 2004

--- Kenneth Campbell <kkc at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Stephen Philion writes:
>
> > though by the logic of the liberals on this list,
> > the aclu should be condemned for defending the
> nazis
> > in skokie, no? or exposed as 'fascists',

As one of the resident liberals on the list, I'll put in in that my First Amendment teacher in law school, David Goldberger (yes, he's Jewish), was the ACLU atty who represented the Nazis in the Skokie Nazi case, and that I'd do the same in a New York minute. And I'd defend Saddam as appointed counsel, or even better if he paid me, not because I have the slightest political sympathy for fallen tyrants, but because liberals believem or ought to believe, in due process with a soret of fanatical passion. I almost fell for Dean, despite his being a Democrat, when he came out saying that whether bin Ladin deserved capital punishment was a question for the jury and not for a would-be executive -- of course he took it back, reminding me that the only reason to support a Dem in the circumstances is that the Bushies are psychotic mass murderers. But the due process thing is what makes liberals liberals. No one who wouldn't put it first can claim the label. jks