[lbo-talk] Re: #2202 - Re: Abortion

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Jan 14 18:11:40 PST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:56:53 -0500, Hari Kumar <hari.kumar at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> For what it is worth, I have to agree. In Canada the rate of teenage
> pregnancy is very high indeed. (Can't quote it off the cuff).

http://www.google.com/search?q=canada+teenage+pregnancy

http://www.statcan.ca/english/kits/preg/preg3.htm

Stats, stats and more stats.

Teenage pregnancy

by Heather Dryburgh Health Reports, Vol. 12, No. 1 Statistics Canada, Catalogue 82-003

During the last quarter century, there has been an overall decline in the teenage pregnancy rate in Canada, perhaps reflecting the availability of contraceptives, and the increased awareness of the risks of unprotected sex brought about by the AIDS epidemic.1 Nevertheless, in 1997, an estimated 19,724 women aged 15 to 19 gave birth, and a slightly larger number in this age range—21,233—had an abortion. <SNIP> http://www.statcan.ca/english/kits/preg/preg3.htm

On adult perceptions of teenagers and how and why they are perceived to be so much worse than when we were teens, see Framing Youth: Ten Myths About the Next Generation by Mike A. Males (Hardcover - March 1999)

The Scapegoat Generation: America's War on Adolescents by Mike A. Males (Paperback - May 1996)

Michael Pugliese

From "Marx at the Millenium, " by Cyril Smith, Pluto Press. Footnote 5, pg. 178, "...The Three Priciples of Democratic Centralism...by Don Cuckson: 1 Father Knows Best 2 Not in front of the children 3 Keep it in the family.